[MV] Hollywood Tracked Vehicles (was: Okay, here's a little

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:44:21 -0500

>In general such vehicles were made cheaply (i.e. lots of plywood). They
>look tough in the movies, but if you drove them in the real world for
>more than a couple hundred feet they would start to fall apart :-). The
>full scale one might not even really work.......

One that I've always wondered about (may not be mil at all) is the
'Chariott' from the silly 'Lost in Space' (or is that Lost in Discrace?)
series. When the full size unit was sitting on the set it sure looked like
an actual tracked chassis under it, maybe an old Thiokol or Bombardier???

As to mil snow tractors , there was a movie (made for TV I'm sure) that
showed what I'm 95% sure was a Thiokol Hyrdomaster tractor. At one point it
broke and some soldier was working (in typical Hollywood style) in between
the tracks back near the final drive unit. Anyone seen this and/or know if
that was a real rig? The Army did buy them for Arctic service according to
Janes.

je