RE: [MV] gas can

Lars Svaasand (lars.svaasand@valmarine.no)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:12:04 +0200

> Well, as far as I know, it seems that the Italians in Africa invented the
> Jerry can (in Italian "tanica"). I have read it in an Italian book on
> Italian military vehicles.
[Lars Svaasand] This interesting fact was unknown to me. I'd like
to hear more about this
story.

Back to the pouring issue, the (Italian/German/British) Jerry can
has a ventilation tube welded
inside the can, which equalizes the air pressure outside/inside the
can when pouring. This tube opens
right under and inside the lid. This makes for very easy pouring
without spilling. But with the spout
locked in place, this ventilation ceases to function. The US can
just has a hole drilled right above the lid opening
(but under the gasket for the lid) which works with or without the
spout, but not very leak-proof.

Also a personal note to the merits of cam-lid and screw-on lids:
The cam-lid is certainly easier to close and open,
but it is also possible to knock open during rough handling. I once
had 20 liters of gas spill all over the bed in
my CCKW due to this... not very nice.

-Lars, Norway