[MV] (jerry-) gas can

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:03:02 +0200

Raimondo L. Torelli schrieb:

> Well, as far as I know, it seems that the Italians in Africa invented
> the Jerry can (in Italian "tanica"). I have read it in an Italian
> book on Italian military vehicles. I do not have the book with me
> (I am not at home now) but I can find it and let you know if interested.
> The Germans just adopted it.
> Andreas, any comment?

Oh, I'm not an expert in Jerry-cans or Benzinkanister. The can which
is known as "Jerry-can" in english speaking countries is known in
Germany since the late 30s as "Wehrmachtskanister". I own such
a Wehrmachtskanister, which is stamped "1939".

They were also used for civil purposes. When it was a Wehrmacht one,
the Word "Wehrmacht" was stamped on the side.

Wehrmachtskanister were still produced, they sell them as "20 litre
cans" now. There are also version with 10 litre and 5 litre avail-
able.

If you want, I can forward a picture of my Wehrmachtskanister.

> Before I forget: In Africa, water jerry cans were marked with a white
> cross on the sides to be easily recognizable.

The NATO still uses the Wehrmachtskanister. Kanister for Water have
often a wider spout and the spout is marked white.

Best regards
Andreas
-Genuine Jerry-