Re: R: [MV] (jerry-) gas can

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:38:56 +0200

Vittorio Argento schrieb:
> Regarding the origins again, I think that Jerry is the familiar
> form for Geremia or Gerardo (the german Gherard), but I'm not
> sure...
> From Italy, Vittorio Argento

Oh no. In English a "jerry" is the pot made from metal or china,
which stands under the bed, which you can use if you don't want
to go the long way to the toilet at night...

(In Germany we call it a "Pisspot")

The English used during WW2 this word "jerry" also for the German
soldiers. Have look if a jerry is under your bed...

So the "Jerry can" is the can used by the German soldiers. And comes
not from the German name Gerhard.

(Btw. my father's christian name is Gerhard. He was Unteroffizier
(Sergeant) of the German Wehrmacht in WW2...)

Best regards
Andreas