Re: [MV] (jerry-) water can

Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:30:56 +0200

April 29 1999

Hi from Italy!

At 09.32 28/04/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Nowdays, the 5 gallon water jugs (based on the traditional jerrycan design)
>are made of black plastic. Gas cans are still made of metal. It's
>unauthorized to carry water in metal containers because it would be too
>easy to mix up whether you're sending that desert-bound patrol 50
gallons>of water, or 50 gallons of gas.

>But that's modern day, not WWII.

You are right! However, it would be easy to paint a white cross on both
the front and back of the can as Italians/Germans/British did in Africa in
WWII: in the desert, water was too precious to be wasted. I have been told
that soldiers avoided to shoot on white crossed cans...

BTW: I have enjoyed very much your "barzelletta" on the Mustang!

Keep Them Rolling!

Raimondo - M.V.P.A.