Re: [MV] Normandie 1999

Antoine Compin (acompin@earthlink.net)
Sat, 1 May 1999 22:13:25 -0700

As far as I know, it could only apply to the American military
contingent which is (or might be?) supposed to be there, and I
am not sure if the 82nd and 101st AB will be represented this
year as they were 5 years ago for drops over StMere-l'Eglise. I
have heard that there would be a US Army military band, but I
don't know from which unit...
By and large the majority of the events are for, by and with
civilians, so I don't think you should worry about it. The
ceremonies at the monuments do no require a large military
presence, just a few senior officers (most of these guys don't
go to war usually) and a few grunts to hold the flags and the
flower arrangements...
Of course all the European Mil-Veh collectors that can be there
WILL be there, after all this is the one-in-five-years event
where we can all show our wares
and participate in something meaningful for the young French
population and heart-warming for the veterans, when some of us
can offer them rides that take them back in time, or act as
interpreters when they find familiar faces or places.
The real important ones are the WWII veterans, and you can be
sure
that they will be there, even though their numbers are
dwindling at
a sadly fast pace...
Antoine