RE: [MV] Markings for M170

McCoy, Bruce (McCoyBr@usa.redcross.org)
Wed, 5 May 1999 13:44:58 -0400

When I was in Air Force (69-73) the vehicles used white letters on all color
background. The marking was first two numbers were year of purchase, next
letter purchase group usually a or b for first or second bid of the year or
x if bought off market of transferred from other service, last four numbers
are the last four of vin number or serial number

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Rose [mailto:m151a1@micron.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 1999 6:57 PM
To: m151a1@micron.net; mil-veh@skylee.com
Subject: [MV] Markings for M170

I have a couple of questions about the M170

one: did the Air force have or use them
two: did M170's ever have aluminum tops while in service
three: for Air Force markings, what is the correct size for the markings
four: what do you use for the hood number

The last question is the important one: I was told on good authority that
1950's vintage air force vehicles were air force blue with WHITE markings.
Nowadays, they are air force blue with yellow markings. Did they ever use
white markings, when did they switch, etc?

Thanks for your help

Jason Rose
1964 M151a1
1985 M1009