Re: RE [MV] Reality Check

Mark Johnson (mcj115@psu.edu)
Wed, 05 May 1999 21:50:37 +0000

>As an aside, I have to wonder if we are not in a dying hobby. If you look at
>the people in this hobby, most seem to be WW2 vets, or the majority of us,
their
>children (baby-boomers). There seem to be few young people entering this
hobby.
>The reasons could be many; just starting out, no disposable $$, vehicles more
>expensive now (though I might argue this as far as modern deuces are
concerned)
>etc.
I am proud to say I am 19 years old and in the MV/ classic vehicle hobby.
I have two M38A1 jeeps that are 27 years older than I, as well I have a
M416 trailer that is 15-20 years older and a CJ-5 that is 13 years older
than I. I also partially own a 46 Chevy 1.5 ton with my father. I am in
the hobby for the fun of it, heck I love to hear the stories of vets. As
the way i see it I am never going to make a profit or ever completly finish
a vehicle back to origional condition. I have freinds in the speed and
four wheel drive types of vehicles but none in restoration. Also to be
honest I have no or little utility or uses in military vehicles at this
point in my life, some of you may have some uses for them. I would like to
hear from any other young people on this list or in this hobby.

>My sons really have no interest in this hobby short of dad can I use the M151
>Jeep at the summer rally to go 4 wheelin'.

I enjoy both, I would rather keep it on road most of the time to avoid any
damage.

>I am in this for my personal pleasure. I will try to ensure that my 'fleet'
>goes to a good home upon my demise, but short of a museum, that may be
>difficult. As these vehicles age, they will become more difficult to maintain
>due parts availability, knowledge, and increased cost of ownership.

Well put

>I know of a family that owns a WW1 Jaffery Quad and it is so obsolete and
>usuitable for the road and difficult to maintain that it makes me think of
our
>situation 10-20 years from now.

Just matters how much reslove you have.

Mark C. Johnson
Harrisburg Pa
MVPA
ICQ 21924993
1952 M38A1 (2)
M416
1966 CJ5
half ownership in 46 Chevy
vested interest in
64 Chevy 1 ton pannel truck
68 Dodge Coronet Wagon model 440 (318 engine)