Re: [MV] Unknown Device - Need Help Identifying?

James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Thu, 6 May 1999 20:34:18 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: DDoyle9570@aol.com <DDoyle9570@aol.com>
To: davidacole@juno.com <davidacole@juno.com>
Cc: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 05, 1999 10:19 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Unknown Device - Need Help Identifying?

>While I DO NOT recommend disconnecting it, the electrical connection to the
>buzzer in no way effects the operation of the brakes. Its just an alarm.
>
>Yes, most commercial heavy trucks with straight air brakes have spring
safety
>brakes that apply the brakes in the event of an air system failure.
HOWEVER,
>the M123/M125 series ten ton trucks I know (there's one in the driveway 20
>feet away), and I believe the Mack NO series have straight air, no spring
>safety. NO AIR, NO BRAKES!!! It is imperative that the brake systems on
>these vehicles be meticulously maintained. It does have independent
trailer
>brakes. The parking brake is drum on back of the tranny.

This is why you may remember if your older than 30something that all truck
before spring brakes (for parking only) had as an almost standard accessory
a set of chuck blocks generally mounted outside the vehicle where the driver
could get at them as he exited the cab.

Tip for all 2 & 1/2 and up drivers of MV's. NEVER I MEAN NEVER PUT THE
TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL YO GAIN SPEED OR "SAVE FUEL" GOING DOWN A HILL. IF
YOUR BRAKES FAIL YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK IN GEAR!!!!!

A friend of mine
>was driving a 123 (no trailer) and the driveshaft came out, ripped out the
>air tanks, and Wow. No service brakes, no parking brakes, nothing just a
>thrill ride (this was on a City street!).
>
>The MWO on the visual alarm places a red light, shaped just like the high
>beam indicator, but pure red, in the dead center of the instrument cluster.
>
>Keep 'em rollin'
>David Doyle

I will now climb off the soapbox and deposit my 2 sense?

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
(N1VBN is my Ham Radio callsign)
n1vbn@wb1dsw.nh.usa.noam