Re: [MV] 41 gpw

Antoine Compin (acompin@earthlink.net)
Mon, 10 May 1999 15:09:53 -0700

It looks like you have one of the thousands of "units" rebuilt
at the US ARMY facility in ESSLINGEN in Germany. this is where
everything gets into a giant mixer and by the time the jeeps are
rebuilt, they are no longer true-blue GPW's or MB's, but
hybrids. There was a similar facility (a few years later) in
France at LA MALTOURNEE. The only visible sign remains the
chassis front crossmember, under the radiator (round tube for
Willys, channel for Ford). But then again you could have a Ford
Chassis and nothing else marked "F" anywhere else on the
beast... In the case of the "Maltournee" rebuilds, the problem
was complicated by the introduction of Hotchkiss-manufactured
parts in the mix (Marked WOF, for Willys-Overland France).
This is the biggest challenge of the hobby and a restoration
choice to be made: Do you restore to the "as delivered to the
Army" state or to the "as retired from service" state???
For me , the fun is driving that thing, not being over-anxious
to keep it in "Smithsonian" condition. I cherish my chilhood
memories of riding in a Jeep on the lap of a GI liberating
Paris, in August of 1944.. I was 5 years old!
I had to wait until 1976 to get my very own Jeep!
Antoine

1943 MB
1944 MBT
1942 Harley WLA