Re: [MV] MVs as classic cars

Steve Malikoff MV list account (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Wed, 12 May 1999 07:30:20 +1000 (EST)

Tom said:
> By the way, I go out of my
> way to make the show an educational experience. I put up a sign with details
> of the MB/GPW history, with specification. I add a couple of "Sessions" ads
> from the WWII era magazines and a before/after photo album. I also put small
> signs around on the jeep explaining what the rope, black-out lights, bridge
> crossing plate, and other peculiar items are for. I've got a combat wheel
> and some different type gas/water cans sitting around (generally on a table)
> so they can get a close up look at these "peculiar" items. You will get a
> whole lot of folks stopping and reading the material (and incidently LEARNING
> something) who aren't "into" the jeeps at all. Just a "warm and fuzzy"
> experience.

Yes, THIS WORKS!
Here at our annual Motorfest in Sydney, there's usually two dozen or so jeeps
that turn up. Now, many of them are cleaned up for the day and the owner is
around most of the time to talk to passers by, and the jeeps with the photo
boards and history pages attached definately get the most attention!
At the risk of starting another heated debate like the one on CJML last year,
I'm extremely happy to let people sit in my jeep for photos. The jeep is
especially popular with japanese tourists, they absolutely love it!
Sometimes people don't have a camera so I'll take a photo with mine of their
kids sitting at the wheel or climbing all over the back, and post it to them
later. Had I asked for the phone numbers of all the nice birds who climbed
in, well, the mind boggles...!
Photo boards have pictures of the restoration 'before' and 'after'; trips and
events; history; and (this year) the web page address across the front bumper -
a lot of people wrote it down, too, so next year I'll have a little
flyer as well.

Raimondo's idea of always prefixing "Historic" to MV when dealing with public
relations is excellent; good thinking!

Steve.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au