Re: [MV] MVs as classic cars

NIGEL HAY (Nigelhay@tanksrus.freeserve.co.uk)
Wed, 12 May 1999 15:19:52 +0100

Interestingly enough, here in the UK the shows we never seem to get invited
to or invloved with are the American auto shows, despite a high proportion
of vehicles being USA made. I don't know why that is, but perhaps we should
attend some to see how it goes.
Steam fairs are probably the most popular general shows. I have amused the
crowd at one on 3 consecutive years by running out of gas in the
arena.....never learn!!Just live with the embarrasment.I remember one very
wet event where we ended recovering a stuck steam engine with my Ward la
France- and getting it jammed in low range....
We took the stuart M3A3 to a classic car show a few year ago and it was a
very dull event, with little public attandance.To liven thimgs up the
organisers asked us to take the tank around the arena to entertain the
crowd.As the grass was freshly cut, the tank blew lots of it up , upsetting
the Aston martin owners club who got dust and (heaven forbid) grass blown
over their cars-they were so upset and traumatised they all went home and
are still having regular therapy i imagine.

But most general shows we are made most welcome and actively approached to
attend. Most on this list will have had the knock on the dor with a "could
you bring your......to our school fete next week" request- it is
unfortunately hard to attend all these.
Personally I don't now do many shows other than the War and Peace show, but
I do take the Stuart M3A3 into Canterbury city centre on the day before
Rememberance Sunday to help the British Legion sell Poppies (many other MV
owners do similar all over the country)
Last year, this glamourous Ivana Trump lookalike (darlink, what a marvelous
tank...) was having her picture taken ,minutes after the press had gone off
for a liquid lunch- turned out her father commanded the first Russian tank
to break into Berlin in 1945.....never a camera when you want one.
Many years ago a slightly niave chap near here bought a Diamond T cargo,
assumed it doint have brakes so arranged for it to be towed on a bar by a
swb GMC 6x6. The engine on the T was running to help power the jimmy up
hills, but Winthorpe got bored and gently depressed the brake pedal -
meeting no resistance as you would with air brakes, assumed there definately
were no brakes and suddenly put the pedal right down.The tow truck almost
flipped over as the T stopped on its nose. Fortunately he now sticks to
modelling (tanks not male)
Enjoy the hobby, NIGE