Re: [MV] GPW Brakes...the vote is tied!

John Edwards (edwardsj@bigpond.com)
Wed, 19 May 1999 04:25:32 +1000

Dean (& MV crew)

I guess many jeep owners do not have the luxury of manuals etc so if it
works it must be right. Hence the 50/50 bet on this issue.

However, a picture says a 1000 words. For those that have "The Military Jeep
Complete" by Post Motor Books - 3 TM's in one, look for page 208 Figure 87.

This figure shows the part breakdown of a drum assy, it shows "J" - Lining
Forward, "O"- Lining Reverse. It is the same picture an in my 1942 Parts
Manual.

I am happy to post this image & caption up on the web when I get home
tonight.

It begs the question though ? When I say I am driving forward does it not
mean I am driving the jeep with gears 1, 2 or 3, and similarly I am going in
a reverse direction, when I have the jeep in R ?

So why would a forward facing shoe be facing the back end of the jeep ? Have
I missed something here ?

Rgds,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr <kelloggd@uthscsa.edu>
To: mil-veh-digest@skylee.com <mil-veh-digest@skylee.com>
Date: Wednesday, 19 May 1999 7:35
Subject: [MV] GPW Brakes...the vote is tied!

Well, I posted a question about whether the "small" or the "large" pad goes
in front on the brakes of a GPW....after finding the prior owner of my GPW
had one wheel set up both ways!

So far I have 3 votes for large pad in front and 3 for small pad in front.

Ron Cook quoted the Manual:

"Brake Shoes: Lining length-forward shoe (moulded)....10 7/32 in.
Lining length-reverse shoe (moulded)....6 39/64 in.

Installation of Brake Shoes and Linings. Install cam in brake shoes.
Install anchor pin plate on anchor pins; install pins in brake shoes,
and mount assembly on brake backing plate. NOTE: Forward shoe has
longest lining.(this in italics) Install brake return spring, and remove
brake cylinder clamp. Install brake anchor pin lock washer and nuts.
NOTE: Turn brake anchor pins so that punch marks on ends are toward each
other. Do not tighten anchor nuts.(this note also in italics) Install
hubs.(pars. 128 and 141) Make major brake adjustment (par 149b)."

It seems to me....being a novice at drum brakes (disks are so simple)....it
all seems to hinge on what is meant by "forward" and "reverse". Is the
"forward" shoe mounted "forward" or does "forward shoe" refer to the shoe
that does most of the braking when the vehicle is actually moving forward?
The use of the terms "forward" and "reverse" in the manual seem to imply
vehicle direction rather than position on the wheel....thoughts?

* Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD *
* Department of Medicine *
* The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio *
* 7703 Floyd Curl Drive *
* San Antonio, Texas 78284-7875 *
* (210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu *