[MV] Re: Brake story

Douglas Greville (dgrev@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Wed, 19 May 1999 16:33:39 +0930

Rob

> By the way, some fancy cars have two wheel cylinders per wheel. The
> top
> one actuates the front shoe, and the bottom one actuates the rear
> shoe.
> In this way, all the shoes can be made to be "self-energizing"...

My Greyhound is even "fancier", it has double acting slave cylinders
both
top and bottom. Not much fun to try and put the brake drum back on as
with
all the springs and stuff the brakes shoes do not want to sit central.

The brakes (with hydrovac) are very good. The brake shoe linings are of
equal length.

Now for the query. As this design does not have an anchor pin for the
shoe
and as the shoes are actually "floating" is it a better or worse design?
To me it would seem worse, as both the shoes cannot benefit from self-
actuation unless something tricky takes place with the geometry of the
bits? Basically each shoe is forced outward by the brake fluid at both
the top and bottom and thus would tend to find the point of most even
force, which although great for pad longevity does not give the same
effect as a pivoted shoe?
Or is this effect actually better as the whole of the shoe is in contact
with the drum, whereas in the case of a jeep the most force is nearest
the
slave cylinder and progressively decreases towards the pivot point?

Whatever the case, it is very effective, but that could just be because
there is plenty of boost via the hydrovac.

Opinions?

Regards
Doug

Armoured Vehicles Collector
_______
_/_(_o_)_\_ ____
_/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
|w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
M8 Ferret

dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: http://Fast.to/DG