Re: [MV] M151-A2 numbers

Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Wed, 19 May 1999 18:30:34 -0400

>I own a M151A2 that is made of GALVANIZED Steel. The data plate says made
by
>Ford with a date of 2-71. Federal stock no. of 2320-177-9258. Contract no.
>DAAE 06-68-C-0001.
>Could all this be correct?
>I was told of a story that the Army use to get replacement bodies and just
>keep the same data plate of the old rusted out body and put it on the
>replacement body. If this is so than did AMG make the galvanized bodies or
>was it Ford? Maybe your friend will know?
> Also, I have a differential (pumpkin) that has a forged name of Korea on
it.
>Was there really some made in Korea? This diff is quite!!!! I have had a
few
>of them to know a noisy one and a quite one.

Hello, To my knowledge Ford never made a galvanized body because rust was
not an issue at that time. They very well could have because Ford was one
of the first to galvanize their civilian cars, (I remember them doing this
to their 1965 model line on lower rocker panels) Most of my knowledge comes
from AMG. I'll do more research on this fact. However, AMG was ZBARTing
their bodies torwards the last few years. A later replacement body from AMG
would certainly have had rust protection and perhaps was replaced using the
original data plate. (Lucky You!) Data plates would follow the vehicle to
the end. As for the differentials, there were many manufacturers over the
years and they were built to mil-spec protocol. Improvements were not in
the contracts. Possibly whoever was procuring the contracts were not aware
of the very noisy unshimmed rears and so the same contracts were awarded
again and again for replacements. I'll do more homework after the Aberdeen
meet. Your jeep friend, Julian Burke