Re: [MV] Driving in Oz

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Thu, 20 May 1999 16:08:32 +0200

Steve Malikoff MV list account schrieb:
> Henry said:
> > This is for the Aussies out there; what are the restrictions to driving
> > in Australia with a left-hand-drive vehicle? Are there any temporary
> > permits for overland travel, or is just not possible?
> > A friend of mine from Venezuela wants to ship a vehicle to Australia and
> > drive across (and around) for several weeks.
> > Any recommendations/comments?

As far as I know, Australia has signed the "International
Agreement about Motor traffic" from the 8th of November, 1968
and the "International Regulation about motor traffic" from
November the 12th, 1934.

This means (said simple), that you can drive in Oz as a tourist
with your vehicle, when it meets the regulations of your home
country.

If you want, your home country can provide an "International
Title" for your vehicle and an "International driving license"
for you. These documents are translations of you normal
documents in some strange languages. These international
documents can help, when you drive abroad. Some countries
don't let you enter, when you don't have them.

Best regards
Andreas
-Official aknowledged expert for motor trafic-