Re: [MV] Ernie Pyle

Ben P. Fisher, Jr. (fisherb@azstarnet.com)
Fri, 21 May 1999 08:40:29 -0700

William R. Benson wrote:

> Some of your may know this, some of you may not...
>
> Ernie Pyle, a war correspondant, was slain by a Japanese sniper during the
> Battle for Okinawa. While there may not have been any stories about him,
> there may have been films filmed by him.
>
> This may allow you to expand your search.
>
> Let's see, I need to slide in something about MVs...
>
> Umm, he rode in a JEEP from time to time?
>
> (Tip o' the hat to the list master...)

There also have been several books published with Ernie articles and can
still be found at used book stores. Well worth the time to read as Ernie
wrote from the soldiers point of view and lived with the troops not the
brass. He also wrote before the war and those books are also interesting
when he traveled around the US during the depression and wrote about
people he ran into to. Ernie was diffinently the "Soldiers
Correspondent" as Bradley was the "Soldiers General" and Bill Mauldin
was the Soldiers Cartoonist" They all felt strong and identified
theirselves with the common soldier. Watch for his books they are
wonderful reading.

Ben P. Fisher, Jr. Corona, Arizona (North Charleroi, Pa. native)