Re: [MV] Tractor hunting

Shane G Deemer (1sgd6508@unixstew.tstc.edu)
Sun, 23 May 1999 14:37:09 -0500

More details reguarding the M91x series trucks...........

The M915A2s and M916s are being built utilizing parts from the original
M915s and M915A1s, which were build by AM General, using a Crane Carrier
Corporation design.

M915A2 4X6 tractor
M916A2 6X6 tractor

------------

The M917 dump trucks are now being fielded with the US Army's first
response unit. The 1st Cav. at Ft. Hood currently has 25 of these trucks,
are were delivered in March of this year. The M917s are being built using
components from the M917s built by AM General.

M917A1 6X6 dump truck

------------

While Freightliner and Stewart & Stevenson have made PLS demonstrators, the
DoD is still using Oshkosh's PLS truck, primarily for compatability with
the HEMMTs. It is very likely that the Freighliner and Stewart & Stevenson
PLS trucks will remain on the drawing board, and the Oshkosh ones will
continue to be built. It should also be noted that Oshkosh's M1074 PLSs
have been superceeded by M1075s. The most obvious differences are the
M1074s have 5 axles, and the M1075s only have 4.

The rebuilding of the AM General/CCC trucks brings a mixed blessing. The
costs of rebuilding the vehicles is lower than purchasing brand new ones,
but it also means that very few, if any, will be sold to the public,
because they are all scheduled to be rebuilt.

Does anybody know if any of the M915/M916/M917s have made it out of the DoD
system?

--
-Shane

****************************** Military Rails Online http://unixstew.tstc.edu/~1sgd6508 ******************************