Re: [MV] m37 firing order etc

Rob Root (root99@earthlink.net)
Sun, 23 May 1999 20:59:32 -0700

Hi Brent:

Brent McClearen wrote:

> I don't have my M37 manuals yet, so I need some quick data:
>
> Is the firing order 1-4-2-6-3-5? I'm just checking, one other nice person on
> the list sent that to me, but he wasn't absolutely sure....

My civilian Motors Manual lists firing order for all Dodge flathead
sixes (40-54) as 1-5-3-6-2-4 (Thats the same as my Plymouth). Don't see
any reason why a military Dodge engine should be any different. Motors
Manual also shows distributor rotation as clockwise, when viewed from
the top; #1 wire appears to be about 7:00 position when viewed from
above, assuming 12:00 is next to the block. In a pinch, the firing
order can be confirmed by putting corks in the spark plug holes. Turn
it over slowly, and watch the order in which they pop out! There should
be a timing pointer on the timing chain cover, and degree markings on
the vibration damper. Like others said, use your thumb to find
compression on number one (front) cylinder, as a place to start.

> What should be the correct range of cylinder compression in psi?

The compression ratio is around 6.5 to 1. Assuming sea level pressure
of 14.7 psi, perfect (but unachievable) would be about 95 psi. If
compression is the problem, it would be WAY below that. Important thing
is to check for fairly even pressures between cylinders. Ideally it
should be checked with the engine warm, all plugs removed, and the
throttle plate wide open... But you're looking for gross discrepancies
at this point, like 30 psi or less, or zero on one or more cylinders,
like stuck valves...

> Does anybody know a commercial part number for the ignition condenser? I
> just put an NOS one in, but other listers believe they commonly are faulty.

>From Motors Manual, condenser capacity should measure .25 to .28
Microfarad, if that helps any.

> Thanks for all your advice!!

You're welcome. The data I provided is for a 230 c.i.d. flathead six as
installed in a Dodge passenger car...

-Rob Root
1942 GPW
(1933 Plymouth)