RE: [MV] CARC paint alternative

OConnor, Dennis (DOconnor@SIKORSKY.COM)
Thu, 27 May 1999 10:02:37 -0400

Hi Ron,
The "new" paint is CARC reformulated to use water as a transfer
agent. Still has all the old advantages/disadvantages and is excellent
material. Actually the transfer agent should be determined by the material
it is being applied to/over. Over old paint water will be fine (distilled
may be better for purity depending on your tap water source). Over bare
aluminum/dural/magnesium/etc. a product called "Envirogard" is the preffered
transfer agent. Over bare steel you should use Envirogard or isopropyl
alcohol NOT WATER because the steel will rust almost immediately. Under no
circumstances should give in to temptation to use enamel reducer or laquer
thinner as they are not compatible and the results will be wasted time and
money. Clean up with the Envirogard or alcohol. BTW - they are changing the
formulation of Envirogard to be more environmentally friendly and it will be
called Envirogard2.
I know Chuck will want to remind everyone to avoid CARC altogether
and I'll second it for those without prior experience. There are 3 steps in
the system and the first 2 (catalyzed/epoxy primer and paint) are the
equivalent of the top-of-the-line commercial paint systems and can be used
with relative safety it's the last part (sealer) that's really horrid stuff
and should be avoided. The painters here at Sikorsky (Whirlybirds-R-Us) use
paper suits and regular masks when applying the first two parts just like in
commercial shops. When they seal the aircraft after completion they dress
like the "Michelin Man" to avoid exposure.

Best Regards,
Dennis O'Connor