[MV] French "chenillette"

Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 11:41:11 +0200

At 14.50 01/06/99 EDT, David wrote:
>A friend of mine, who is not yet on list asked me the following questions.
I >did not know the answer, but thought some of you scholars out there might.

> ... snip ...
>
>1) During 1940, the French Army used a vehicle named the Chenillette.

June 4 1999

Hi David from Italy!

I have checked my files and I have found no info on a "Renault-ZT"!
However, I have some info on the Renault "chenillette" (correct spelling:
one "n"). I have 3 photos, sorry no scanner, I need your postal address so
I may send you enlarged photocopies.
As I wrote you in my previous message, the "chenillette" was captured by
the Germans in WWII and put to good use. One of the photos (a small one,
not too good, unfortunately!) shows it with a 50 mm. gun mounted on it at
Stalingrad, very far from France!
The chenillette was inspired/derived from the Carden-Loyd MKVI. It was
called Ranault UE and used as a "carrier" for hauling a tracked trailer
(with ammo) and a light anti-tank gun. Very few peoples on the carrier,
two sitting and, perhaps, two on the sovrastructure, it was very small,
like a Bren carrier or so. It was very popular with the infantry for the
low profile and for carrying supplies.
The French A.M.X. built 6.000 of them in the period 1936 to 1939. Quite a
lot, I do not know how many were used by the Germans, my books don't
mention it.
One of the photos shows it with the tracked trailer and the light cannon.

I hope Laurent de Miollis friend's is in a position to give more info, back
at home from Normandy!
Regards and don't forget to

Keep Them Rolling!

Raimondo - M.V.P.A.