Re: [MV] Fully tracked VW Bus ?

Bdk (bdk@geocities.com)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 14:52:13 -0700

I think that what Ken is talking about are tracks that fasten in place
of each wheel of a 4x4. Steering is by turning the front wheels like a
car, not differential track speed like a tank.

Supposedly this conversion is done without major modifications to the
parent vehicle. Basically, the original hub is converted to drive a
small sprocket (sprockette?) with a triangular frame that has small road
wheels below. It has the sprocket on top, and three or four roadwheels
on the bottom. I think that the track is a rubber belt.

I've actually seen one of these units installed on a full size 4x4, and
it looks pretty ridiculous! Since the sprocket centerline is the
original axle centerline, the truck is raised about a foot and a half
from stock.

BK