Re: [MV] Fully tracked VW Bus ?

ken king (kking@spiralcomm.net)
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 21:03:32 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Bdk <bdk@geocities.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Monday, June 07, 1999 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Fully tracked VW Bus ?

>I think that what Ken is talking about are tracks that fasten in place
>of each wheel of a 4x4. Steering is by turning the front wheels like a
>car, not differential track speed like a tank.
>
>Supposedly this conversion is done without major modifications to the
>parent vehicle. Basically, the original hub is converted to drive a
>small sprocket (sprockette?) with a triangular frame that has small road
>wheels below. It has the sprocket on top, and three or four roadwheels
>on the bottom. I think that the track is a rubber belt.
>
>I've actually seen one of these units installed on a full size 4x4, and
>it looks pretty ridiculous! Since the sprocket centerline is the
>original axle centerline, the truck is raised about a foot and a half
>from stock.

this sounds exactly like what i recall, including the ridiculous looking
part. the specific memory i have of the advert showed a drawing (no photo)
of the 'product' installed on a chevy or gmc pickup. i recall thinking at
the time that i hoped who ever installed it didn't want to make too tight of
a turn-they probably would have ripped the ever loving s__t out of their
truck!

kking