Re: [MV] WW2 jerrycan markings

Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 12:34:14 +0200

GIjeepsWW2@aol.com schrieb:
> In a message dated 5/28/99 11:54:09 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
> rolgiati@conexion.com.py writes:
>
> "Wehrmacht", "Luftwaffe" or "SS", depending on which arm of the
> forces the jerrycan belonged to.=20
> A friend of mine tells me of having seen a water jerrycan made of
> brass-sheet, marked "Marine".

> Not sure if that is the way it would actually work out. Contrary to
> popular myth in the US "Wehrmacht" is not the german word for the
> german army. It means "Armed Forces." The SS was a seperate (political)
> branch of service.=20
> The Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, and Heer (Army) were all part of the
> Wehrmacht.

In Germany the word "Wehrmacht" was most times only used for the army.
The "Kriegsmarine" (Navy) and the "Luftwaffe" (airforce) were also under
the command of the OKW (High Command of the Wehrmacht), but they had
different unfiforms, different insignia, different equipment and also
different licence plates for their vehicles.

WH =3D Wehrmacht Heer (Army)
WL =3D Wehrmacht Luftwaffe (Airforce)
(I don't know the letter for the Kriegsmarine)
SS =3D SS units

So if you have a jerrycan stamped "Wehrmacht", you can be sure, it was
used by the army.

Best regards from Germany
Andreas