Re: [MV] trailering light armour?

Scott Watson (swatson@jps.net)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:25:17 -0700

Lee, I recommend that to pick up a copy of the California Motor Vehicle
Code ( $3.00 at the DMV) and read the pertinent parts. If you are over 40'
combined length and over 6000lbs GVW trailer or have 3 axles than you are
required to have a commercial license and log book, inspections etc....
As far as the other considerations I recommend a goose neck trailer over a
bumper pull with out any doubt. Use brakes on both trailer axles, not just
one. The 3/4 ton is going to be maxed out but might be capable, but use 10
ply tires. A dually 1 ton would be better and a Ford better yet.
PS I tow a 20' livestock trailer in the mountains and it has taken me years
to get the "ideal" system
Scott Watson, swatson@jps.net

----------
> From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
> To: mil-veh@skylee.com
> Subject: [MV] trailering light armour?
> Date: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 6:49 PM
>
> Attention anyone with towing experience....
>
> I'm considering building or buying a proper rig to tow around my Ferret
Mk
> 2/3. The actual vehicle weight is a bit over 7500 lbs. I would never
be
> going more than 100-150 miles at most and pretty flat country.
>
> Right now I have a 3/4 ton, 350 Chevy P/U, turbo 400 with the tow
package. I
> know of several 6 wheel car type trailers for sale cheap (farm country..
lots
> of stuff around). Do you think this truck is stout enough to tow the
Ferret