Re: [MV] WW2 jerrycan markings

Laurent de Miollis (astrad@club-internet.fr)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 02:07:00 +0100

Tim Bell wrote:

> Hmm... I was thinking about putting it on the back of my GPW - instead of
> the 1944 dated British can I have there at the moment....
>
> Presumably I should - for a can borrowed from the German army in Normandy -
> consider the Drab Yellow colour you mention for post 1943 vehicles ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim

Hi ,

Enjoy to know that you have no problem on the Home return home, from
Normandie.

I have some informations about German Jerrican:
At the begin, we found two versus of Jerrycan, one with no marquage, and
one other type with inscription : J 14.

Between 1938 to 1940, we can find, only on the left face, the
inscription: "Kraftstoff 20 l Feuegefährlich", the year of built
following by a number (?).

all the models was with a simple cross on the left and the right face.

In 1940, the cross is reinforced by a rectangle and the sign of the
maker is estamped in the rectangle, at the center of the cross. with the
date at the bottom..
The Jerrican for the Water was simply write with the inscription:
"wasser" with a white cross (paint)

The compagny Sandrik was the only one who built the special production
for the Waffen SS. The name of the maker is at the bottom.

Betwwen 1937 to 1945, 12 compagnie built Jerrican:
- Eisenwerke Co
- Nowack Bautzen
- R+F Fisher
- ABP
- Sandrik
- Nirona
- DWC
- Brose & Co Coburg
- CBN
- MNS
- EHB
- WKO

Since 1950, the German government gave the licence only at Brose
(Coburg); R+F Fisher ( Goppingen); Menesar (Saarbrücken); Schwelmer
Eisenwerke (Schwelm) and Kanisterbau (Berlin)
At the end of 1959, only one maker Bellino (ex R+F Fischer).

During the WW2, the color of paint was :
- Feldgrau (Wehrmacht)
- Sand (Afrika Korps)
- Salmon (SS in west campain)
- Black (Waffen SS)
- Grey (Blue) (Luftwaffe)
- Red (?)

Sorry for the bad quality of my english, I hope that all these
information can help Tim and I'm sure that his Jerrican will be in
better effect on the his (War capture).

For me I have one German helmet with a SS cover canvas on the grill of
the Mb.

Many thank's to Gérard Leknitzki, Patrick Chamourat and Eric Pinseau for
all theses informations.

Regard's
Laurent de Miollis
MVCG Paris Ile de France