Re: [MV] M35A2 air filter wanted

David C. Barbieri (barbiedc@maadmin.marshall.tstc.edu)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:44:07 CST

Hi Henry -

Earlier today, you wrote:

>Also, there is a valve near the oil filters that when opened, runs oil
>under pressure, but the line, that looks like and is the size of a radiator
>hose, runs to the water pump. Any one know what it is and does?

Uh, Henry, that line provides high-pressure oiling to your radiator,
to prevent corrosion. OK, OK, I'm _KIDDING_ ! What you're looking
at is the oil cooler (honest), and that line actually comes from the
water pump. Coolant flow starts at the pump, is routed thru the oil
cooler, then into the block and up into the head. From there, the
water manifold (that skinny intake manifold looking thingy) on top of
the head flows the heated water into the top of the radiator. It's
cooled and flows out the bottom hose and back to the water pump.

The bleed valve actually taps oil from inside the cooler plates. I imagine
it was placed there for bleeding/flushing purposes. In reality, it seems to
serve only for student amusement and the instant creation of large
messes. 8-D

Dave Barbieri