Re: [MV] CARC info for newbie

David M. Kuhn (dkuhn@hel4.arl.mil)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 06:28:22 -0400

At 04:22 PM 6/10/99 PDT, you wrote:(snipped,with response)
>Hi!
>I've been following along now for several months, but this is my first post.
Glad to see ya aboard......

Exactly what precautions would be
>sufficient if one wanted to strip a vehicle in order to repaint (with a
>non-CARC paint)?
I used 80 grit,220 grit and 400 grit successively,not taking
all the CARC off,just roughing it up,& getting rid of surface rust.I used a
particulate respirator,fitted w/an element specified for polyisocyanates and
also used forced ventilation when sanding and clearing(ridding of dust)the
vehicle.Most paints will adhere to CARC,I tried several,with test patches
exposed on a fender outside for 1 mo.I settled on using a Rustoleum 7600
series paint,not the best for auto painting,but it's held up now for 2 years.

A lot of people make bad faces when you mention CARC,but properly handled,
you can work with it without problems.WEAR YOUR RESPIRATOR!!!!! I can't stress
it enuf.I don't know if your local ordinances will smite you for paint dust
and/or proper environmental housekeeping(ANYTHING having to do with painting
nowdays seems to have enviro.concerns)Just keep it low profile and use common
sense.

Would a regular paint shop dust mask be OK?

No.Use the painting respirator when sanding,as well.By all means,use forced
ventilation when sanding at all times.Ensure clean airflow to your work area.
Change the filters on the respirator often.Sure they are expensive,but your
lungs will thank you.

I rebuilt a CUCV pickup (Military version of Chevy 1 ton 4x4 pickup)and spent
many nights sanding and sandblasting CARC components.Happy to pass along some
info to help newcomers.If your'e looking for authentic military paints,I can
recommend some excellent suppliers of surplus paints.

Dave Kuhn
Churchville,MD

Not an official message of ARL.......