Re: [MV] M-151 Electronic Ignition Questions

Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 00:24:01 -0400

>>What are the symptoms of a typical failure...does the engine just quit,
>>or run rough?
>>
>I had one for years, without any trouble;
>suddenly, trouble began, the engine would cut-out when hot;

The electronic ignition module in the distributor is usually an extremely
reliable unit itself. However, the coil usually gives trouble from working
intermittantly to complete failure. The engine will run fine and without
warning, just quit. REPLACE THE COIL AND THE TROUBLE WILL GO AWAY! I have
had this happen three times on my jeeps. The first time I wasn't sure what
it was ;and thought maybe an electrical failure from the switch. It
wouldn't happen often enough to catch it so I connected an extra wire to the
B+ (24Volt wire) to the distributor which connected to a 24 volt bulb that
hung inside the jeep that I could see. When the engine did quit, the bulb
was still on which indicated the power to the dist. was OK and it was inside
the distributor. It turned out to be the coil, replaced it and no more
problems. Hope this helps. By the way, the 151 solid state ignition and
rotor will also fit an M38A1 replacing the points/condenser making it a more
reliable vehicle. Your M151A2 nut, Julian Burke