Re: [MV] MB "Alternator" sparking problem

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:49:12 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent McClearen <brent@multipro.com>
To: MILITARY FORUM <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 21 June 1999 02:14
Subject: [MV] MB "Alternator" sparking problem

>List,
>Was driving my GPW (12 volt converted) this weekend at night on dads
farm
>and noticed bright blue sparking at the brushes on my alternator. Now,
>know it would spark a little with the brushes, but is it just that I
was
>watching at night, and it looked brighter, or is it a symptom of really
worn
>out brushes?

Probably worth checking out.

Alternator brushes operate on slip-rings unlike a DC Generator (Dynamo)
which has a segmented commutator. You'd expect a commutator to spark a
little as it is really a rotating switch but plain slip-rings in good
order with decent brush contact shouldn't really spark at all.

Richard
(Southampton UK)