Re: [MV] NEED HELP With M38A1 Exhaust problem

Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:37:09 -0700 (PDT)

> proceeded to pull off the manifold, the rear most
> broke off, had to remove
> the engine b/c of this to get it fixed.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I take it that you mean the stud broke off in the hole?

Done. But
> the problem is the middle
> top stud, the treads where stripped so I decided I'd
> replace it, I let some
> "Break Free" soak in for a few days, then started to
> remove it with a stud
> puller, it broke.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes when removing old threaded fasteners, rusted or whatever, its
good to "wake-it-up" first. Use heat, or a hammer, JUST TAP IT, to
break some of the rust loose. Then try to tighten it JUST A LITTLE.

Then when turning it out go 1/4 turn at a time, and turn it back in to
where it began. This breaks up the rust which you can wash out with
WD-40 or some other cleaner/lubricant. This also cleans up the
threads, too. Work it back and forth as you turn it out 1/4 turn at a
time.

You SHOULD take a long time to do this, don't hurry.

I then proceeded to drill and use
> an high strength "Easy
> Out" to back the stud out. The tip of it broke off
> in the stud about .25
> inches back. I can not seem to be able to drill it
> out now. Those are high
> strengh and hard as heck things. What can I use
> short of TNT to remove or
> drill the easy out.
One thing that MIGHT work is if you make its hardness work for you.
Hard steel is also brittle.

Take a punch that will fit into the hole an see if you can break apart
the easy out, this will work for taps that break off in the hole, too.
You may also get lucky and have a tool called a "tap extractor" that
has fingers that go down the side of a tap where the chip flutes are
and can be used to turn the broken tap out of the hole. One of these
may be made to fit the easy out.

Joe F.