Re: [MV] m38a1 parts

Cliff Dahl (wrcc@rapidnet.com)
Sun, 04 Jul 1999 21:43:23 -0600

David:
Are you thinking of converting generator, guages, ect to 12 volt? If so,
you have to keep in mind the voltage. You have to decide to either go
totally with the original 24 volt system or totally convert to 12 volts.
By staying with the 24 volt system, the guages (with the exception of the
oil pressure guage, which could be replaced by a manual type) must be all
"original" type along with generator, starter, regulator and all lighting.
All these parts are available from either MV dealers or private
sales--check magazines such as MV Magazine. By converting to 12 volt,
everything stated above must be changed. Mechanical parts for engine,
transmission and transfer will for most part swap back and forth between
civilian and military. The main differences mechanically on the motor were
the carberator and fuel pump, (along with a reinforced boss and extra
mounting bolts on the block connecting the bellhousing plate to the motor).
These also could be civilian if you chose to use them. Some items from
other military vehicles may work, such as a gauge or two or a generator
from something else. Some items from an M38 would also work on the M38A1.
Whatever you do, if you choose to convert to 12 volts, save your take-off
parts. You will thank me later. I converted my M38A1 to 12 volts 20 +
years ago and restored the jeep to original within the last couple of years
and was very happy that I still had the parts. It also saved me big bucks.
Best of luck on your project,
Cliff Dahl
Rapid City, SD

1942 M2A1 halftrack