[MV] Re:MVPA elections

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:46:38 -0500

>At the sparsly attended membership meeting in San Jose (note, if you aren't
>actively involved in MVPA you shouldn't gripe when they don't meet your
>expectations),

I was at that meeting.

> Lee spent a lot of time talking about the problem of
>importing MV's into the US and what the MVPA is doing to fix the problem.
>This was a major topic for discussion. I was impressed by the amount of
>attention that it is getting.

As I stated to Lee in person after the meeting, I am very happy that the
MVPA is getting active in this issue, but there is another issue that has
been going on for almost 25 years that threatens the future of this group
far more than banning imports, that being destruction of the vehicles at the
source. In all fairness Mr. Holland acknowledged the problem and said that
they could only handle one problem at a time, to which I agreed. I asked
him if MVPA, upon completion of the import issue (be it success or failure),
would we concider getting involved in the mutilation issue. His reply was a
we'll see which I took as a sort of a yes.

My big gripe is that we have an organisation that we are paying dues to that
has been ignoring activities that threaten the very purpose of the
association and after almost 25 years, are only now willing to START getting
active when old stuff is at issue. Todays new stuff is tomorows old stuff
and if there is no new stuff going out today, there won't be any old stuff
tomorow, import ban or not!

je