[MV] Re: m38a1 parts ( The 24 volt question )

Tom Norris (badger@telalink.net)
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 20:23:44 -0500

>I'm not sure where, but I have read, I think in one of Crismon's books, that
>the military standardized on the the 24 volt system for the M series
vehicles
>because it is specialized. The shear number of vehicles that Uncle Sam buys

At least on the electronic and electrical end of things, 24 volts is good
because
there is is less current for a given "wattage", and smaller wiring can be
used in
things like generators and starters. Wonder if that had a bearing on the 24
volt
change as well?

An example of what I mean would be the GRC-19 or GRC-106 radio sets that,
when transmitting draw about 40 amps or so. At 12 volts that would be 80 amps,
and at 6v 160 amps. BIIIIG difference in wiring requirements.

Tom Norris
Nashville