RE: [MV] 24 Volt System

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:45:19 -0500

>The voltage drop is alos a big factor in 6 volt vehicles today. You cannot
>find (not NOS) battery cables locally that are designed to carry that much
>current.

No problem around here getting up to 4/0 cables even, but you have to go to
a truck parts place.

>I have always wondered why the cost consious car makers have not gone to 24v

I've heard that it is illegal in California for some reason, is this true???

>or even 48v to reduce the size of the wire again and save $$.

I think by the time you get to 48 volts you are starting to get into a
safety issue. I have seen some aircraft ground support equipment that had
36 volt systems however.

je