Re: [MV] Pilferage...

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:40:44 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: jonathon <jemery@execpc.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 09 July 1999 14:56
Subject: Re: [MV] Pilferage...

>>I used to work for the British Ministry of Defence and I can confirm that
>>as many changes as possible were made to as much kit as possible in order..
>
>There's that word again "kit". They guy giving the tour at the Littlefield
>tank museum, Bob Fletcher I think, was from England and he used that word
>all the time. He'd refer to a particular tank as "a real piece of kit".
>How would you translate that to us former subjects over here in the US??

Sorry Arthur. . . . . .

Usually refers to the soldiers issued uniform, webbing, small arm, and
everything; a tank would be issued and sort of become part of your "kit";
especially if you had to sign for it. The kit of parts the army gives you to go
to war.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary says:
Kit. n & v. 1. n. || wooden tub for various purposes, eg. to hold fish [ || =
not US]
2. (Articles carried in) soldiers etc. (pack) etc. ; personal equipment, esp. as
packed for travelling; workman's outfit of tools etc. Set of parts sold together
from which a thing may be made; clothing etc., for a particular activity or
situation (tropical kit, riding kit)
Kit bag. (for carrying soldiers or traveller's kit) 3. vt & vi. fit out, be
fitted out, with kit (often out or up) [ME, f. MDu. kitte wooden vessel ; orig.
unkn.]

Richard
(Southampton UK)