Re: [MV] 12V - Alternator output

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:14:39 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Antoine Compin <acompin@earthlink.net>
To: "Mil-Veh" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 09 July 1999 21:53
Subject: Re: [MV] 12V - Alternator output

Antoine

No, not really. The alternator voltage can easily be increased by a few extra
turns on its stator windings and I would expect any "12 volt" vehicle alternator
to actually take the battery to 14V at least. For those of you that may be
familiar with the current and voltage electro-magnet type dynamo (DC generator)
regulators found on older MV's and the like, the alternator has only an
electronic voltage control as the maximum current available is a function of the
design and the magnetic field strength produced by the rotor windings.

Whilst we all call a 6 cell lead-acid battery 12V it actually isn't, this is all
a function of chemistry. At 12V across the terminals its getting towards
discharged, a fully charged battery will have something like 13.2 V at the
terminals at rest, the lab standard used to represent a float charged battery is
13.8V which is the point of gassing too.

It doesn't matter how big the lead-acid cell is made - fork lift trucks to
diesel electric submarines or how small, say 1mm square plates, the terminal
voltage per cell will be a nominal 2.2V.

Automotive applications are considered cyclic and therefore take the battery to
14 - 14.2V under charge to ensure maximum capacity for cranking, batteries used
in float charged stand-by conditions are never charged beyond 13.6V to give
very extended life and to ensure gassing doesn't occur.

You can expect therefore to see 28V - 28.4V on a nominal 24V vehicle with the
engine running and the proposed "36V" future systems will have 43.2V when being
charged.

Richard
(Southampton UK)