Re: [MV] history of British MV??

jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:14:24 -0400

To Matt and other British Armoured vehicle owners.

>I am trying to research the history of a Ferret, to include time in service,
>possible stations etc.
>Any ideas where I would start?

Several years ago I was researching in the archives of The Tank Museum at Bovington in the UK. I mentioned to the curator that I owned a Fieldmouse MK 1 (Ferret) and wondered if any info was available on it. He took me over to a row of file cabinets and said that most of the service records of post war armor were contained there. He then pulled out a drawer to show me several records. Unfortunately my Ferret is ex-Canadian Army so the records were not there. Last March a friend of mine from PA. stopped at the museum and got copies of the records for both our Saladin armoured cars. Cost was 5 pounds (about $8 US) for each copy. The records showed my Saladin was used in Hong Kong! Contact them with the registration number of your MV. It is the number/letter/number combination painted on the vehicle and should also be stamped on the data plate. Should look like this, 04 ED 78.
For people with a Rolls-Royce powered MV, there is a motor record rolled up inside a little tube on the motor itself. On a Ferret it will be on the top rear center of the motor and has a knurled cap on top. This record will tell you what has been done to the motor and if it has been rebuilt etc.
If you have a ex Canadian Army MK 1 Ferret (it will have a US type alternator instead of a generator) contact me off line and I'll tell you where to find your registration number and year of manufacture.

Jim
"Considered too dangerous to be allowed to run for the MVPA board"