Re: [MV] Storage Container Details for Vehicles and Parts

Brent McClearen (brent@multipro.com)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:49:17 -0500

Jonathan,

The one I got would be a beast to get back up on a truck, but with a big
winch and a big rollback it could be done I guess. I hope I never have to
move it.

The guy put it within 6 inches of where I wanted it. We jacked it up with 2
floor jacks and set 2 6x6 under it crossways under the I beam frame rails,
which were 48" apart. Then with my jeep and a 4x4 we knocked it side ways
into position, parallel with another regular trailer down on dads' farm.

As for ventilation, theres none presently. We planned to cut in two roof
turbine ventilators like they use on the eave of a house. Looks like a
jiffy pop popcorn thing and spins due to convection flow of heat out the
roof. No motors or anything. And cheap too. We will hold off on this until
we have seen how it goes thru one years seasons. We just installed it last
month (early June). Dads other trailer has been there since 1973, with tons
of furniture, papers, souvenirs from Germany etc. and no noticable
degradation or condensation yet. Its just a plain old tractor trailer with
no ventilation. It sits in full sun all day. Painted silver with a black
tar roof we put on top in 1988 due to some small leaks developing at roof
seams. I think another lister said he saw condensation inside one before,
but I was concerned about only; never saw it. Only saw the leaky roof,
which hasn't leaked again since the tar roof. Bumble bees, wasps and black
widows are a bigger concern. Dad doesn't pay them any attention, and they
leave him alone. Harmony with nature or country boy, you guess? I get out
of the damn truck and get nailed by a pissed of bee for no reason at all!

I'm in middle Tennessee, hot and very humid temperate zone. Rust is a big
problem for stuff outdoors here. Salt on roads in winter is common, even if
they only PREDICT snow. Chickens! I wish they wouldn't use it. It kills
vehicles.

Gotta go.

Good luck,
Brent