Re: [MV] Moron Alert!

islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:16:53 -0400

Hi Jason,

>I'm not saying it was the smartest thing to
>do, but maybe they just wanted a picture of themselves infront of parliament
>hill.

This is the point. If I were a law enforcement official, and I saw a
"fully armed" armored vehicle coming right for a central landmark of
power, I would have flipped out too. How would the cops know that the
gun was a dummy one? Isn't the point of a dummy gun to look just like
the real thing? I have a perfectly BATF legal deactivated MP-44 assault
rifle, but if I walked downtown with it and was shot, I would deserve the
title "Moron" in a big way.

Lesson one of law enforcement and military action -> ALWAYS assume the
gun is loaded!! The rest just follows that.

Like someone else said, the guns should have been made obviously
non-threatening. And if they really wanted to get a picture in front of
such a sensitive building, maybe they should have had the security men
check it out BEFORE they drove within threat range. They might have said
no, and that might not have been right, but at least they wouldn't have
tarnished MVs a bit and put people at risk from accidents related to
police reaction.

>Slick
>Willey was scared of having too many tour buses running up and down
>Pennsylvania avenue so he closed it down. Another legacy for

Well, with nuts shooting at the White House, shooting in the White House,
and crashing planes into it, I don't blame the Secret Service from
tightening things up. Apparently they have been trying to get things
tightened up for a LONG time, but the three nut case attacks on the white
house in the last couple of years shows that there is reason to be
concerned. Just way too many crazies out there, and not all of them are
holding public office either ;-)

Steve