[MV] CUCV Glow Plug System

Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:03:59 -0400

>I have an M1009 CUCV whose "wait" light functions normally at startup, but
>then comes back on about 1 or 2 minutes after the engine has started, dims,
>and then goes out again. After that it stays out. Does anyone know what
>this indicates? Is my glow plug module failing? Are my glow
>plugs firing again after start? Anybody know? Thanks in advance.

If this does this after the engine is warm, a problem may be in the module.
Many people don't know that the glow plugs come back on after initial
startup. They don't stay on but about 10 or so seconds on two (2) cycles
AFTER the engine has started. However, the light will not come on on those
two cycles. This prevents the engine from excessively smoking after initial
morning startup. Front Line is selling the complete module with wiring
harness which is what you want to do. Modules are not really available by
themselves. GM has an upgrade water temperature sensor which you want to
use instead of NOS at half the price. ($21) NAPA has a Ford type glow plug
relay (part # GPR 109) for about $17 which will take care of the glow plug
relay problem forever and will also fit the "footprint" of the old one. If
your GPR looks like a "dimmer switch", it is original and must be changed.
If it isn't giving problems, it will soon. The military's upgrade looks
like a Ford starter solonoid relay and is satisfactory. I still recommend
the NAPA part. If anyone has problems with the glow plug system, I will
answer those problems. I have gotten rather good with them and the
alternators too. I may post a writing on this system. Julian Burke