Re: [MV] Data plate restoration

paul vandervort (pgv@imaxx.net)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:01:45 -0700

John & all others interested

I have done mine in the past. It is tedious, but with a little
practice, it can work out well. First, remove the plates from the backing plate
they are riveted to (m38A1's are all riveted to a single backing plate, M38's
are individual plates attached to the dash with screws). You can get
replacement rivets from Beachwood, and other sources. Next, use paint stripper
to remove the old paint. Corrosion can be cleaned up by using some 800 to 1500
grit sandpaper (I use water paper; cleaner & you can see whats going on). You
dont want to sand it very hard, just lightly to bring up some luster, sanding
on it too much will reduce the height of the letters & will make the later
steps even harder. Then use some polish for fine metals, (I use flitz), and
polish the letters & edges (you can use a dremmel tool also but be very
careful). M38 & 38A1 plates are brass so the are easy to work with. Once the
letters & edges are polished, clean it with some laquer thinner, and paint it
with flat or gloss black (flat is easier to remove in next step). Apply the
black just enough to cover the depressed areas. Next take some 1500 to 2000
grit sandpaper and place sandpaper on a flat surface (I use a peice of glass)
with grit side up, and place data plate face down & lightly rub data plateon
the paper until black is removed from high spots (letters & edges). Be light
with the pressure on the plate as you dont want to sand out too much of your
polishing job, or sand down & remove the black from the depressed areas. Some
repolishing might be in order. Next spray the face of the data plate with a
spray can of either clear gloss, or clear with a satinn finish, which ever you
prefer. If you have a steady hand, you can save some time by applying some
grease (A VERY light coat!!) to the raised edge before applying the black. this
will allow the paint to be easy to remove, from the edge, before the final
sanding to remove the black from the lettering. I just did my M38A1 plates
last summer & they look like new, so much I always get asked where I got the
new plates! I anyone would like pics of my plates I can supply them. Just my
experience, hope it helps. Sorry to be so lengthy.

Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437