Re: [MV] Push the envelope! (Formerly Moron Alert!)

Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:13:44 -0700

>I do not fundamentally disagree with any of these statements about "be
>proud, show 'em what you got", but I am also a very deeply rooted
>realist. So I would add, "be proud, show 'em what you got, but use an
>ounce of common sense".
<snip>

Hi Steve, List,

Excellent points. I understand treading lightly and being sensitive to
current PC needs, and agree it's in our interest. But, I feel we'll need to
have a higher profile than that if we are ultimately going to hang on to our
MV's (or guns for that matter).

If we are seen as benign, "Oh, I don't know why anyone would want to own one
of those ugly army trucks, but I guess as long as they keep them out of my
sight and don't scare me with them then they can keep them." we'll still
lose in the end. Like you said, there are already enough people who think
we shouldn't have them at all.

We need to be seen on the 6 p.m. news rescuing folks from flood waters with
our M35, in a parade with Pearl Harbor survivors in the back of the M37,
etc. A back up National Guard if you will. We need to be thought of as a
valuable resource, not a nuisance to be tolerated as long as we are polite.

I don't know if this kind of shift in public sentiment is possible. I don't
know if a handful of owners can do it, but it can't hurt to try.

Chris Davis
'52 M37
MVPA #20000
Lake Forest, CA