Re: [MV] Push the envelope! (Formerly Moron Alert!)

islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:35:45 -0400

>We need to be seen on the 6 p.m. news rescuing folks from flood waters with
>our M35, in a parade with Pearl Harbor survivors in the back of the M37,
>etc. A back up National Guard if you will. We need to be thought of as a
>valuable resource, not a nuisance to be tolerated as long as we are polite.
>
>I don't know if this kind of shift in public sentiment is possible. I don't
>know if a handful of owners can do it, but it can't hurt to try.

Well put Chris! Personally, I *do* think that if enough of us do the
right thing that we can secure more friends, and perhaps even
powerful/influential ones too, that we can rely upon to support us in
future legal wranglings. I have read about a Weasel rescuing people in a
Colorado blizzard, so I know one town, populace and officials alike, that
would step up in support of our cause.

I am up in the northern woods of Maine, and we certainly have our fair
share of really bad weather (2 years ago ice storms left thousands
without power for a month +). Now that my Weasel is running, and appears
to be up to challenges, I am bringing pictures of it down to my local
police department. I am going to offer my services, free of charge (and
with a waiver of liability, which is probably required in these days of
sue happiness), for any emergency they might need my help with. The
Chief, and the other officers I have dealt with, are really good, honest,
protectors of the peace. Just the sort you want in a small town. I
don't expect the phone to be ringing off the hook, but I do know of 2
cases in the last 2 years where a Weasel would have been very useful to
the police. Thankfully these were not matters of life or death, just
recovering stuff in the middle of nowhere. I expect there will be more
drunks taking their pickup trucks 2 miles down snowmobile trails in the
future, so my services might be of use :-) When I get my vehicle back in
WWII shape I am going to offer to drive it in our local parades (provided
I get the OK 'cause it isn't street legal) and suggest I give a couple of
our local vets a lift.

I know many of you do this already, and I am sure it is quietly earning
us friends of all flavors. THIS is how we can win friends and influence
people to support us in future battles.

Steve