[MV] Title Issues (was 1/2T Chev)

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:58:59 -0500

>Just got a G7107 (1.5TChev) delivery date 4/22/42. Where is the serial
>number, on the frame, body somewhere (besides the ID plate)? The ID
>plate is unreadable and we think the vin number of the title is wrong.
>Need to get it corrected. Let me know tanks. Dirtman, Kent WA 42GPW

Word of warning, I have personal experiance with this. DO NOT try to fix a
title when you first turn it in. Turn in the title (to get it in your name)
then later, maybe a year, go back and tell them that the title was in error.
My M422-A1 had some info on the title that the previous owner wanted to
correct like the year was off and he thought it should say "mitey mite'
instead of 'jeep'. Even though serial number was correct, the state
confiscated the original title and said he would have to have it safety
inspected before they would issue one to him. Problem with that is that the
m422 had no seat belts or turn signals at a time when everything else on the
market did, so state says even thought there is an exemption for that kind
of thing, it did not apply here. He gave up and sold it to me without a
title then.

The other thing to consider is that titles on older vehicles, at least in
Wisconsin, go by engine number not body or frame number. If this is the
case in your state then again, turn in the title now, then a year or so
later, go in and tell them you changed the engine and get the title
reissued with your new and correct engine number. Just some thoughts.

je