Re: [MV] Data plate restoration

Winne, Jim (jwinne@nettally.com)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:52:24 -0400

Hi Paul and list,

There is one plate on the M-715 dashplate that was obviously "screened on"
in red. It was probably a warning about max speeds for transfer case
positions. Try as I will, I can't make out what it says. Does anyone know
where on of these could be had?

Also, there was a sticker on the dash to the left of the steering wheel
that had warnings about driving conditions or lube intervals or something
like that. How can I find out what this was and maybe get a photocopy?

Tnx,
Jim MVPA# 317216
----------
> From: paul vandervort <pgv@imaxx.net>
> To: John's mail <fly-fish@mindspring.com>
> Cc: mil-veh@skylee.com
> Subject: Re: [MV] Data plate restoration
> Date: Thursday, July 15, 1999 3:01 AM
>
> John & all others interested
>
> I have done mine in the past. It is tedious, but with a little
> practice, it can work out well. First, remove the plates from the backing
plate
> they are riveted to (m38A1's are all riveted to a single backing plate,
M38's
> are individual plates attached to the dash with screws). You can get
> replacement rivets from Beachwood, and other sources. Next, use paint
stripper
> to remove the old paint. Corrosion can be cleaned up by using some 800 to
1500
> grit sandpaper (I use water paper; cleaner & you can see whats going on).
You
> dont want to sand it very hard, just lightly to bring up some luster,
sanding
> on it too much will reduce the height of the letters & will make the
later
> steps even harder. Then use some polish for fine metals, (I use flitz),
and
> polish the letters & edges (you can use a dremmel tool also but be very
> careful). M38 & 38A1 plates are brass so the are easy to work with. Once
the
> letters & edges are polished, clean it with some laquer thinner, and
paint it
> with flat or gloss black (flat is easier to remove in next step). Apply
the
> black just enough to cover the depressed areas. Next take some 1500 to
2000
> grit sandpaper and place sandpaper on a flat surface (I use a peice of
glass)
> with grit side up, and place data plate face down & lightly rub data
plateon
> the paper until black is removed from high spots (letters & edges). Be
light
> with the pressure on the plate as you dont want to sand out too much of
your
> polishing job, or sand down & remove the black from the depressed areas.
Some
> repolishing might be in order. Next spray the face of the data plate with
> spray can of either clear gloss, or clear with a satinn finish, which
ever you
> prefer. If you have a steady hand, you can save some time by applying
some
> grease (A VERY light coat!!) to the raised edge before applying the
black. this
> will allow the paint to be easy to remove, from the edge, before the
final
> sanding to remove the black from the lettering. I just did my M38A1
plates
> last summer & they look like new, so much I always get asked where I got
the
> new plates! I anyone would like pics of my plates I can supply them.
Just my