Re: [MV] British Grenades?

Jim Webster (jimweb@SIMONIDES.PRESTEL.CO.UK)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:18:56 +0100

Dilliard@aol.com wrote:

> Can someone offer up some information on the #80 or Type 80 smoke grenades
> that would be correct for the smoke deployment on Ferrets and other armour of
> the same era? If there are any inert samples around or at least a picture so
> I could make some replicas for box filler.

Inert No 80 [white phosphorous] grenades can usually be found at
Militaria stands at the usual shows. No doubt there will be some at
Beltring and I am sure some kind person attending will be able to pick
up one for you if you ask. They are the usual british smoke grenade
[cylindrical shape] with a bevelled bottom.

I remember firing these things at the ranges and sometimes the 'squib'
that projected them wasn't quite up to the job and the grenade would
just sort of pop out of the launcher and land right in front of the
vehicle.... it really caused some excitement on the firing point :-)

They were meant to be replaced by a red phosphorous version but I think
that they never quite got round to it

If you are unsuccessful getting an example I will dig out the
measurements for you.

TTFN
Jim
Honorary Secretary