Re: [MV] MVPA Election/ Supply Line Editor change

Tim Clark (glengar@bellatlantic.net)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 20:02:31 -0400

Scott Watson wrote:

> Dear Mr. Holland,
> kholland@new-quest.net
> I wish to express my disappointment with the upcoming MVPA Board of
> Directors Election and lack of discussion regarding the editor change at
> Supply Line. I read with interest your letter posted on the MVPA website
> regarding same.
> (http://www.mvpa.org) (a copy is at bottom of this page)
> I believe that Jim Gilmore would best represent my interest in the MVPA.
> How do you propose that I and other like minded members elect Mr. Gilmore
> to the MVPA Board? How will a write in candidate be handled? Why was there
> is no open discussion regarding the editor change at Supply Line?
> I trust you can and will answer these questions to better serve the MVPA.
> sincerely,
> Scott Watson, swatson@jps.net
> MVPA Member 13930
> MVPA News Bulletins:
>
> •LETTER FROM THE MVPA PRESIDENT: The following letter about the current
> MVPA Board of Directors election was released by MVPA President Lee
> Holland: (7.20.99)
>
> July 16, 1999
> Dear Fellow Members:
>
> Once again it is unfortunate that certain individuals have chosen to
> surround the Association's Board of Directors election in controversy. I
> can assure you that the Nominating Committee has professionally and
> equitably carried out their duties in accordance with the bylaws of the
> Association.
>
> You may recall that similar unfounded accusations were made during the last
> election process. Your Board of Directors moved swiftly and decisively to
> implement Policy 34, Board of Directors Election Procedures (please see
> Supply Line Jan/Feb 1999 p.6) to address procedural concerns. To date if
> you will review your past issues and your current Supply Line with the
> ballot attached, you will find that Policy 34 has been followed to the
> letter.
>
> In accordance with our bylaws, I appointed four members of the current
> Board of Directors to serve on the Nominating Committee. As prescribed, the
> Association Vice President chairs the Nomination Committee. My guidance to
> the committee was that all nominations were to receive a thorough
> professional evaluation and that all the actions of the committee were to
> be documented. The committee developed a ten-question evaluation form to be
> used in evaluating each nominee's resume. In addition, the Nominating
> Committee Chairman conducted a telephone interview with each of the
> nominees.
>
> Each committee member submitted to the chairman a written evaluation of
> each nominee. The Nominating Committee also voted on which candidates to
> recommend to be placed on the slate for approval by the Board of Directors;
> their vote was unanimous. The Board of Directors subsequently approved the
> slate of candidates by a 10 to 2 vote.

> [...]
This letter is a lot of drivel!

It sounds like Bill CLINTON squirming around the Monica issue and just
like a professional politician.

It is filled with self-serving and self-congratultory platitudes but I
for one have yet to receive a copy of the MVPA By-Laws, Charter or
anything else relating to who is eligible for nomination.
MVPA, How do we write-in candidates? Is this acceptable in the (secret)
By-Laws that no one of us "regular", non-Clubby members seems to have
ever seen?