[MV] VFW / AL HMV's.

Buettner Family (buettner@dataex.com)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:09:31 -0500

At 10:19 AM 7/26/99 -0400, Dennis O'Connor wrote:
>Actually yes. A local veterans group formed an honor guard to serve at
>veteran's funerals and ceremonies etc. They approached the proper gov't
>sources to obtain Garand's and were told it would take years and have
>lots of restrictions during their use.

Ah Yes... The "Garands" (if you want to call them that) handed out by the
military for color guards ect. now have to have the blank adapter WELDED to
the barrel, and the gas port has a large hole in it so that they act as
single shots not as semi-autos. Really reduces the "impressiveness" of the
firearm in my minds eye. But just think... if you can get 1903
Springfields you need to do absolutley no modifications to them for guard
duty. Go Figure...

>BUT...... if they wanted a tank for the
>memorial on the town green they could have it in 30 days!

Yes, yes they can. It's sure nice to save those "ugly killing machines"
M-60A3's from being thrown into the ocean to become reefs. Unfortunatley
the tanks need to be deactivated also but that is another whole story I
could go on and on about. But I won't.

Robert Buettner
Appleton, WI
(Standing in front of our American Legion Post #38 are a M-4 Sherman,
M-60A3, and a F-86 Sabre Fighter Plane. Also a couple of anchors and
stuff...)
The Buettner Family
buettner@dataex.com