Re: [MV] HMMWV Dealers only and no license/GSA/Govt. involvement?

Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:27:29 -0400

"What does the GSA have to do at all with this auction? I heard about
>these from a guy that claimed ownership of these units about a month
>before any of this was known on the internet, then a local car dealer
>was supposed to be selling them, now it is going to an auction. I was
>under the assumption that these were already out of the government
>loop. These already have form 97's on them, right?"

NO, WRONG!

Well, I'll explain this to all of you because no one seems to understand
this at all. I live not far from there and know what's going on and make it
a point to know and find out the truth. Here's the truth. What does the
GSA have to do with this auction you ask? What does the GSA have to do with
any Gov't owned property? THEY OWN IT!!!!! Now where oh where did you hear
ONE MAN OWNS THESE? From the web site of Manheim, this is of course,
very obvious. NO ONE MAN OWNS ANY OF THESE YET!!! Where would one man get
over 600 M998 Hummers? Now here is the truth as I'm tired of reading all of
these idiot rumors! The Marine Corps owns these, (I believe from Lejeune)
and has been using these old Hummers for training exercises on the ocean.
Yes, the ocean! Most of these have rusty frames as this was a real problem
for pre-1994 Humvees that were used on beach coasts. They want to realize
money for these as complete units. As there is NO OFFICIAL POLICY ON DEMIL
OF HUMVEES (and never was because the civilians were trying to cover their
backsides because of ignorance and no one person specifically wanting to
come forth with a policy) the Marine Corps wants to sell these units. They
are rusty, all missing seat cushions (all 2 seaters) and NO TOPS whatsoever.
In Atlanta, Boomershine Pontiac is the Hummer dealer and agreed to try and
sell these at $28,000 apiece awhile back. They only sold 10 to one person
in the NW. They took the stance that they DID NOT want to sell any more
because of the liability involved because the 97's WILL BE stamped "FOR OFF
ROAD USE ONLY". Since they are a quality minded outfit wanting to
concentrate on new vehicles and such, this did not fit their lifestyle. OK,
now GSA will put these in the hands of Manheim Auctions for sale to Bona
Fide car dealers ONLY. They know that if the public was invited, it would
be a "free for all" and some if not most will find the units on the road
which is not what they have in mind at this point. Car dealers will be most
likely to "police" this (liability on their part) and keep this to a
minimum. Now what's this about them already having 97's already? NO! NO!
NO! If you know anything about a 97, it is issued AFTER a sale of Gov't
owned vehicles and nothing has a 97 until after the sale. 97's will also
have the name of the dealer (or individual under other circumstances) typed
in. Furthermore, the Marine Corp will only release about half (over 300
units) of these and will offer the same sale again in the near future. This
will avoid flooding the market to much too soon and also to test the market.
600 of these is a lot of vehicles! Now, another thing: I'm not sure about
all of you folks asking and talking about how to title these as regular
vehicles. I sure wish you ALL would keep your opinions to yourselves
regarding this matter. This is a VERY SERIOUS matter to the GSA, and they
have thought of this already. Do any of you want to own a Hummer? If the
answer is yes, I strongly suggest you keep your ****** and ******** mouths
shut about how to title a vehicle in this circumstance-in this forum. This
is a FIRST for this test market and may/will set a presidence for future
Humvee sales. This is all we need for people who think they know everthing
about how to title a vehicle who want to tell others how to do it. Besides,
titling is done differently in every state and every state has their own
laws regarding this matter. If you think you can explain how to title these
vehicles differently to the collector reading these posts, then you may/will
be explaining yourself to a Federal Judge after you have been arrested for
fraud. GSA has thought of this already and there is a reason the 97's will
be stamped "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY". Same thing applies to titles that have
been stamped "FOR SALVAGE ONLY". There is a paper trail on these and if you
don't think there is, watch "60 Minutes" when they do their story on cars
that have had their salvage titles "laundered". Now lets see what happens
in this sale as well as future ones so the collectors who paid $40,000 or
more for their machines (or want that much) will be uncomfortable when we
each have one of our own for a lot less! Proudly signing my name to this
posting, Julian Burke